More Than 600 Companies Want to Build Trump’s Wall

The 30-foot-high, 2,000-miles-long wall will cost at least US$21 billion and would be completed within two years.

More than 600 U.S. companies have said they were interested in building a wall across the U.S.-Mexico border, one of U.S. President Donald Trump’s major campaign promises which he had said Mexico would pay for despite the country saying it won’t.

In an executive order just weeks into his presidency, Trump instructed the department of homeland security to put together a plan to build the wall that would cover the almost 2,000-mile-long border.

In late February, the department put out a presolicitation notice for “the design and build of several prototype wall structures in the vicinity of the United States border (with) Mexico,” the Los Angeles Times reported Friday.

The department’s website shows that 600 companies have signed on for the project. The formal solicitation will go online sometime around March 15, the department said earlier this week, and concept papers will be due five days later.

The government is seeking a wall that was “nominally 30 feet tall, that will meet requirements for aesthetics, anti-climbing, and resistance to tampering or damage.”

An internal report by the department reported by Reuters last month estimated the price of a wall along the entire border at US$21.6 billion. Several surveys showed that most U.S. citizens do not want the wall. Continue reading “More Than 600 Companies Want to Build Trump’s Wall”

Advertisements

Mexican Actor Gael Garcia Bernal Slams Trump’s Border Wall at Oscars

 

The Mexican star has blasted Trump in the past, and the Oscars were no exception.

Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal used his time on the Oscar’s stage Sunday to criticize President Donald Trump and his border wall plan as one of many celebrities to raise political themes during the Academy Awards ceremony.

Presenting the Oscar for best animated film, Garcia Bernal slammed Trump’s promise to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“Flesh and blood actors are migrant workers. We travel all over the world, we build families, we construct stories, we build life that cannot be divided,” he said.

“As a Mexican, as a Latin American, as a migrant worker, as a human being, I’m against any form of wall that wants to separate us.”

Garcia Bernal, known for his performance in films including “The Motorcycle Diaries” and “Amores Perros” as well as the web television series “Mozart in the Jungle,” has spoken out about Trump in the past.

After Trump’s Nov. 8 election, Garcia Bernal tweeted in Spanish, “Build your fucking wall. History will take care of the failed plan to make Mexico pay. And to open the holes that there will always be.”

Weeks earlier, he told “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” that although Trump’s run for president was initially seen as a “joke” by Mexicans, his popularity eventually sparked “nervousness, fear and anger” — sentiments that have only increased since the reality TV star-turn-president took over the White House.

Continue reading “Mexican Actor Gael Garcia Bernal Slams Trump’s Border Wall at Oscars”

Obama’s Immigration Plan Faces Deadlock in Supreme Court

Immigrants and community leaders rally in front of the U.S. Supreme Court to mark the one-year anniversary of Obama

For now, the high court is split on whether to revive Barack Obama’s plan to spare 4 million undocumented migrants from deportation.
The Supreme Court appeared closely divided on Monday as it weighed whether to revive President Barack Obama’s plan to spare from deportation roughly 4 million undocumented immigrants, raising the possibility of a 4-4 deadlock that would block the program. Continue reading “Obama’s Immigration Plan Faces Deadlock in Supreme Court”

#CostaRica sets date for 2nd airlift of stranded #Cubans

Costa Rica has set a Feb. 4 date for a second airlift of Cuban migrants who have been stranded for over two months at the country’s northern border with Nicaragua, officials said Monday.

Costa Rica’s immigration agency announced the next flight will ferry 184 Cubans to El Salvador, from where they will continue by land north toward the United States. Costa Rican authorities were contacting those on the list to let them know what documents they will need to present.

The migrants are responsible for the cost of the air bridge: $555 per adult, plus $75 total for Salvadoran and Guatemalan visas. The travel cost is $350 for children between 2 and 12 years old, and $150 for those under the age of 2.

After the flight is filled up, “we will immediately begin to prepare the next one,” immigration agency director Kathya Rodriguez said.

Thousands of Cuban migrants have been stuck in Costa Rica since Nicaragua closed its southern border to them Nov. 14.

The Cubans say their goal is to reach the United States, where favorable immigration policies allow them to remain and apply for residency.

The U.S. rules irk Havana, which says they foment brain drain and encourage islanders to attempt risky migration routes. Backers of the policies say they offer refuge to people fleeing Cuba’s communist system.

The first airlift took place Jan. 12 from Costa Rica to El Salvador, leapfrogging Nicaragua. The migrants then traveled by bus through Guatemala and into southern Mexico, where authorities issued them 20-day transit visas to reach the United States.